Gardening in Waitaki

Gardening in Waitaki
Weekly garden blog

Monday, January 9, 2017

Gardening in North Otago January 10th 2017

Changeable weather still continues this month but the good thing for me so far this summer is that I have not had to drag hoses around, what a wonderful time saver that has been and I am sure a godsend to those of you who took time away knowing that your gardens would still be fresh and in bloom on your return. Roses: will be enjoying the contestant moisture but too much dampness and not enough sun will rot buds, remove these as they will encourage mildew, dead head by cutting down to an outward facing bud, there will be another bud to bloom in 6 weeks. Remove all diseased leaves from the ground around roots and add compost plus blood and bone or slow release fertiliser, with continuous blooming roses respond well to feeding. There are so many plants requiring a cut back now, my wheel barrow and wool packs are on the go most days filling up in no time with cut back lupins, munkshood, mignonette, nasturtiums, iris, buddleia and delphiniums to name a few. I have just cut back a plant which flops all over the place in the heat, acanthus mollis known sometimes as (Bears britches) or (The oyster plant) This cut well back, it will not take long to regrow new fresh growth for autumn and winter. Hydrangea's are wonderful right now, big healthy leaves and large full blooms, and I guess because of the frequent rains the colours are very intense. Petunias are taking center stage now, they are great gap fillers for sunny gardens, but do not preform well in shade. A shady spot can be filled with impatiens which are also colourful when planted in bold groups. Dead heading rhododendrons is really boring and time consuming but worth doing on newly planted bushes to encourage growth into the bush not into making seeds. I have started seed collecting, sweet peas, sweet William, poppies, iris, there is a lot of ripening going on and I have a lot of small paper bags stored away already. A few years ago I planted what were supposed to be small growing flaxes!! Hmmm...they reverted to huge flaxes and this week, I attacked them by cutting them right back resulting in blisters and filling a large trailer. Flaxes are great along fence lines on farm land or filling large embankments but not ideal for town gardens. Now I have reduced them they can be removed. Trees for new gardens: Planting out a new section can be daunting, most want quick growing privacy but quick growing usually results in eventually too big for most sections. In my experience eight years from planting trees a garden will look semi established and the bones of the garden well and truly in place. Trees to begin with in North Otago: Alder, Rowen, Hoheria, Birch, Kowhai (sophora) Magnolia, Elm, Prunus, Cornus, Robinia. Acer,(once shelter has been established) I suggest searching the web for information on these tree varieties, height, spread and differences will be noted for choices to be made for the right spot requiring a tree. Lawns: I was out with the lawn fertiliser in that last heavy rain and see the weeds have been fed as well so will need to spot spray again, it's never ending when lawns need to look good. Fruit & Veg. Many pots of black current jam will be on the go I am sure with currents ripening, It's one of those jobs I need to find time for but always pleased I did once it is done. The vegetable garden is doing fine with seeds popping up in no time after sowing, my lettuces seem to be sitting waiting to be picked without bolting, corn is putting on good growth now but I find myself telling the pumpkins to hurry up as they and corn need a long hot ripening season. Tomatoes are needing more sunny days, keep glass houses moist through the day because white fly like it dry. Keep planting all veg, seeds and plants (apart from corn and pumpkin) they should have been started long before now. Cheers, Linda.

No comments: