Gardening in Waitaki

Gardening in Waitaki
Weekly garden blog

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Gardening in North Otago 24th July

Another good weather week for Oamaru I have heard. I am lucky enough to be in Tauranga this week and notice that North Otago temperatures are sometimes higher than here, what a great place to call home. Up here gardens are at least a month ahead of us, magnolias and michelia doltsopa are flowering and camellias look like they have been flowering for some time. The native bush is lush and plentiful and what a glorious display the pohutukawa and rata must give when all in flower later in the year. If I were battling away in my garden I would be pruning roses and feeding plants with manure rich compost to give them plenty to draw on when growing starts again. Keep planting seeds: In warmer areas sow cornflowers, pansies, violas and columbines (aqualegia) In very cold areas wait until next month to sow flowers. I have just been reading about taking root cuttings from oriental poppies, I have done this with perennial phlox, Japanese anemones, acanthus, verbascum, Shasta daisy, and many other clump forming perennials, now I will try taking root sections from oriental poppies because these are a favorite of mine. I like to see them planted in groups,as they are this year in the town plot surrounding the war memorial. Lift plants carefully out of the ground and use a clean sharp knife to cut the roots into sections, remove two thirds of stalk and leaves then replant where a mid to tall display is needed, I will let you know how they take. Still lots of time left to prepare soil for spring planting, as I have mentioned before add manure enriched compost and lime if you think the ground is sour. Cheers. Linda.

No comments: